Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Its Cold...

Snow Country...an interesting story to say the least.  When I was finally finished with the short novel I was left with a feeling as though more could be written.  However, when we discussed it in class I understood that the "unfinished" is beautiful to the Japanese.  Still though, there was something lacking to me.  The first half was a great first half and, as we talked about in class, could've been the whole thing.  Now I don't want you to be getting the wrong idea from this post.  I enjoyed reading the story and I enjoyed the idea and the complexities and unsolvable triangles of it.  I just didn't understand the lack of a completed thought at the ending.  Sometimes when I reread the end I feel as though I'm grasping at something that I can't quite touch and I don't know what it is either.
One final thought, why the bugs?  What was so interesting about a bunch of dead bugs?  I get that he was bored and that the bugs are a metaphor, but wouldn't just one description have done the job?

No comments:

Post a Comment