Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Poetry Day

Yesterday we had "Poetry Day" in class.  I was very pleasantly surprised at the level of talent in our class for writing.  Granted we have some Creative Writing majors, but that doesn't mean that they have to be good at writing poetry.  Yet, they still were.  Others surprised me more with the amount of emotion they seemed to pack into such small and such few words.  The poems were very thought provoking or moving throughout the class.  However, I feel as though my choice of a Romantic era poet was a bit in bad taste considering the other selection.  Still, "Daffodils" is one of my favorite poems of all time.  It is the quintessential poem to me of how a Transcendentalist or Romanticist thinks.  Its all in the moment of wonderment and absolute loss of self and the mind becomes nothing more than a vessel to hold the great things that we as people have come to experience.  I suppose thats what I wanted to say in class, I just couldn't get it out.  If you enjoyed "Daffodils" then I have a few suggestions for things that give the same feeling...the band Rush, the song "Good Feeling" by The Violent Femmes, going to Ireland, climbing a mountain, walking along a stream in silence of mind and just truly listening.  These are all things that I've done.  If you have other suggestions, I'd love to hear them and try them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment